10 of the Most Scenic Roads in the World
- Highway 1, Big Sur, California
- Guoliang Tunnel Road, China
- Stelvio Pass, Central Eastern Alps, Italy
- The Atlantic Road, Norway
- Road Transfagaras, Romania
- Chapman's Peak Mountain, Cape Town, South Africa
- Glacier National Park in Montana, US
- Tianmen Mountain Road, Hunan, China
- Seven Mile Bridge, Keys, Florida
- Dades Gorge, High Atlas, Morocco
Slot Canyons of the American Southwest
Few places on Earth have such beauty and mystique on an intimate scale as the delicately sculptured and colored slot canyons of the American Southwest. There are thousands of scenic canyons in this region but most are relatively wide; in contrast, slot canyons have vertical walls and may be hundreds of feet deep but only a few feet wide.
The general rock is sandstone, in various shades of red and orange; it is sunlight, shining down and reflecting along the canyon walls that gives the canyons their special beauty; the shadows and colors change constantly as the sun moves overhead.