Ghost Photography of the 19th Century
Photo manipulation is nearly as old as photography itself, and what early photographers lacked in Photoshop, they made up for in ingenuity. Photographers identified nine different methods that could aid in the photographic imitation of “spirits”, including techniques like multiple exposure and combination printing. As David Brewster, in his 1856 book on the stereoscope, explained:
For the purpose of amusement, the photographer might carry us even into the regions of the supernatural. His art, as I have elsewhere shewn, enables him to give a spiritual appearance to one or more of his figures, and to exhibit them as ‘thin air’ amid the solid realities of the stereoscopic picture.
William Mumler was the world’s first known “spirit photographer”. He photographed people who were morning the loss of a loved one and would superimpose their image on the photograph to show that they were still with them in spirit.
Mumler got caught with his fraudulent photography because of P.T. Barnum. He had captured an image of Barnum posed next to a ghost of an exceptionally notable variety: that of the recently assassinated Abraham Lincoln. During Mumler’s 1869 hearing for fraud, Barnum was called to the witness stand to testify against Mumler. Barnum would serve as an expert on “humbuggery.”
Spirit photography lived on well into the 20th century, fueled in part by the Civil War and, later on, by World War I. In the U.K., in the aftermath of the first Great War, the spirit photographer William Hope would develop a following for his work that included Arthur Conan Doyle. The Sherlock Holmes’s creator supported Hope against claims of Mumlerian fraud and wrote a book called The Case for Spirit Photography in 1922. He would also end his friendship with the famous Harry Houdini when the magician publicly claimed that spirit photography was “farcical.”
(Source: The Atlantic)
The Haunted Manor in Gdansk, Poland
In Gdansk, a charming city in Northern Poland, there is a hill. Local residents still refer to it as “Devil’s Hill” due to an old legend. The legend states that this little hill, surrounded by a deep forest and swamps, was a favorite place for witch gatherings. During these gatherings, it is said that some nasty demons were summoned. Legend also says that a very large stone located on the top of the hill was brought there by the devil.
In 1886, the mansion was a home to a restaurant and between 1925 and 1933 it was the headquarters to the Gdansk Freemason’s lodge. After World War 2, the mansion was used as a local television station’s headquarters. All occupants believed the building was haunted and was continuously disturbed by “unknown” forces.
Today the building remains derelict and no one claims ownership. Many of its floors are highly unstable and the south wing of the mansion didn’t survive last winter as two floors collapsed. The only reason the entire building is still standing is due to a solid external wall.
S.S. OURANG MEDAN — Whole Crew Discovered Dead After Eerie SOS Messages
An unsubstantiated ghost ship claim, this one is no less terrifying: In 1947, the Dutch cargo ship S.S. Ourang Medan (Indonesian for “Man from Medan”) was found drifting in Indonesian waters. Several ships transversing the Strait of Malacca, located between Sumatra and Malaysia, picked up her distress call that stated “All officers including captain are dead, lying in chart room and bridge. Possibly whole crew dead.” A flurry of unintelligible Morse code and S.O.S. signals followed, ending with the grisly message: “I die.”
When the Ourang Medan was located and boarded by the crew of an American merchant ship, the Silver Star, the claim didn’t disappoint: the bodies of the Dutch crew were strewn among the decks, out in the open, down in the boiler room, everywhere. “Their frozen faces were upturned to the sun… staring, as if in fear… the mouths were gaping open and the eyes staring,” according to a witness account printed in the United States Coast Guard’s 1952 proceedings. Even the ship’s dog was dead. No damage to the ship was found, and no sign of physical injury was found among the corpses. Other than the fact that they were, you know, dead.
No sooner than the Silver Star’s crew cut the towline and made it back to their vessel, the Ourang Medan exploded. If they’d waited much longer, the Silver Star would have almost certainly been dragged down with it.
Popular theories include carbon monoxide poisoning, paranormal phenomena, and a cargo of hazardous chemicals — possibly a combination of nitrogylcerin and potassium cyanide. However, the story of the Ourang Medan is widely believed to be either an exaggeration of another event or else a fabrication altogether. Skeptics roundly disdain the tale, pointing to the fact that no such ship was listed in Lloyd’s Shipping Register of that year, nor were any references to it were found in the ship registration records of the Netherlands. (It was still alarming enough to spark an investigation by the US Coast Guard, though, with plenty of witnesses, indicating that somebody at least saw something.)
The Demon Cat of Washington DC
The ghost cat or ‘Demon Cat’ is a popular story. This creature haunts the basement of the Capitol building at night, usually spotted around the hall between the Crypt of the Capitol and the Old Supreme Court Chamber. Tourists can even see little paw prints on the floors of this hallway if they look close enough. The story goes that Capitol Hill, then Jenkins Hill, was once the home of a den of black cats, but once construction of the Capitol began (in 1794) the cat’s den was destroyed along with the family of cats. The mother cat now roams the halls of the basement of the Capitol building where presumably the den was located, searching for her young. Even though there are no unattended pets allowed in the Capitol, late night staffers and visitors have noticed an animal making quick dashes around this area of the building. The cat’s paw-prints beneath the Samuel Morse memorial can bee seen in the second picture.
Sightings of the creature have mysteriously been followed by tragic occurrences throughout the United States. One such account tells of a Capitol Police officer who noticed a quick black dash across the floor. As he moved closer to catch a glimpse of the animal, its shadow grew bigger and more menacing. Then, quickly, it disappeared. The next day, 1 November 1918, a story in the newspaper described the worst rapid transit system accident in New York City with over 90 deaths.
The Warren’s Occult Museum and Other Scary Stories
Just in time for Halloween, stories of real hauntings. The pictures above were not taken at some cheesy haunted house, they are real artifacts from cases involving demons, murder, witchcraft, and the black arts. If you think only ghosts are responsible for hauntings, think again. Some people believe that demons are real and Ed and Lorraine Warren have spent their entire careers proving this fact.
For over five decades, Ed Warren and his wife Lorraine have been known as the world’s most renowned paranormal investigators, working on famous cases that were first documented in books and then made into blockbuster horror films such as The Amityville Horror, The Haunting in Connecticut, and more recently, The Conjuring.
Ed died in 2006, but Lorraine continues to appear on numerous paranormal reality shows using her psychic gifts. Lorraine is a gifted clairvoyant, while Ed was the only non-ordained demonologist recognized by the Catholic Church. Together they have investigated thousands of hauntings.
The Warren’s Occult Museum exists inside the Warren’s own residence. If you take the tour, it is strongly urged that you do not touch anything. The objects on display all come from real cases of the Warrens and it is said their negative energy can attach itself to you. The spike that was reportedly used to kill a boy in a satanic ritual (portrayed in The Conjuring) is featured there, along with their most famous resident, Annabelle the Possessed Doll (shown in the first picture).
If you are looking for a great horror story to read on Halloween, the supposedly true story of Annabelle the Possessed Doll (shown in the first picture) might just be the one. Not only did the doll change positions and move from room to room, she even left notes for her weary owners and attacked one of them. She also reportedly caused the death of a motorcyclist on a tour of the museum with his girlfriend. He taunted the doll while rapping on the glass of her case. After being asked to leave the tour, the cyclist lost control of his bike and died while his girlfriend was unharmed. You never know what can happen if you mess with the wrong doll…
Abandoned Los Feliz Murder Mansion
It’s a murder mystery that has puzzled the Los Feliz neighborhood in Los Angeles since 1959. On the night of December 6, 1959, in a mansion that sits on a Los Feliz hilltop, Dr. Harold Perelson struck his wife to death with a hammer, severely beat his 18-year-old daughter, and then ended his own life by drinking a glass of acid. Police found Perelson lying dead on the floor next to his wife’s blood-soaked bed. He was still clutching the hammer. On a nightstand next to his bed, investigators found an open copy of Dante’s “Divine Comedy,” which was opened to Canto 1. “Midway upon the journey of our life I found myself within a forest dark, for the straightforward pathway had been lost … ,” read the passage.
For the next fifty years, the mansion would remain completely untouched and uninhabited by anyone.
A year after the gruesome murder-suicide, the mansion was sold to a couple, Emily and Julian Enriquez, who only used the 5,050-square-foot house as a storage site. Neighbors recall seeing the couple bringing boxes to the mansion, but never staying overnight. In 1994, Rudy Enriquez inherited the house and, like his parents, neither stayed nor made any changes to the Perelson’s old decor.
Local neighbors and brave visitors of the Perelson mansion have shared their tales. Through grimy windows, one can see a 1950s-style television set, a Christmas tree, and neatly-wrapped gifts. The furniture is covered in a thick layer of dust and the living room remains the exact same as it was that one December night as shown in the pictures above.
Rudy Enriquez, now a 77-year old retired music manager, has refused to sell the property. The exterior of the mansion is in slow decay, and the local neighbors have had to pitch in to help maintain the property.
Though no one has been formally invited into the home, it is rumored that the mansion attracted trespassers for some time. Former neighbors have even witnessed people having picnics in the backyard. One trespasser alleges that the house is haunted and that she was bitten by a black widow spider upon trying to break in. An alarm system has been installed and, to this day, remains one of the only changes made to the Perelson’s old home.
No one knows what exactly prompted Dr. Perelson to commit those atrocities fifty years ago. Some have speculated financial woes, while others have dug up old, unconfirmed rumors of Dr. Perelson having been secretly hospitalized. All three Perelson children survived the incident, though none have been mentioned in the media since.
What remains an even larger mystery is why the current owner has left the scene of the crime almost exactly as it was in 1959.
The Abandoned Ghost Mansion of Villa de Vecchi
Ghosts, apparitions, piano sounds, unexplained lights, fountains of blood and satanic rituals — all rumors of the now famous “haunted mansion” in the village of Bindo in Cortenova, Italy. Yet Villa de Vecchi has all the trappings to live up to its image: an eery beauty, desolate location, abandoned for 75 years, and filled with the energy of a tragic past.
Villa de Vecchi is a beautiful abandoned Baroque villa in the moutains near Lake Como. A favorite locale for urban exploration and photography, it was once a grand mansion built by a nobleman.In the mid 19th century, Count Felix de Vecchi chose architect Alessandro Sidoli to design his home. Sidoli integrated the latest technologies, including running water and heating pipes. The villa was adorned with incredible frescoes and featured a grand piano in the hall.
According to local lore, Count de Vecchi allegedly returned home to find that his wife had been murdered and his daughter was missing. With no trace of her in sight, he spent months searching to no avail. Distraught and alone, de Vecchi committed suicide In 1862.
The mansion passed on to de Vecchi’s brother whose family spent summers there through the 1940s. Eventually the home was deserted and became known as the Ghost Mansion, an abandoned mansion with a chilling history and a haunted reputation. While an effort is underway to save the historic villa, its future remains uncertain.