10 Amazing Abandoned Places Around the Globe
- Spree Park, Berlin, Germany
- Hotel del Salto in Colombia - featured previously on Curious History
- Gulliver’s Travels Park, Kawaguchi, Japan
- Abandoned mill in Sorrento, Italy
- Mirny (Mir) Mine is a former open pit diamond mine located in Mirny, Eastern Siberia, Russia - The second largest man-made hole in the world
- The abandoned flats in Keelung, Taiwan
- Holland Island in the Chesapeake Bay, Maryland, United States
- Craco is an abandoned commune and Medieval village in Italy
- Dadipark Dadizel in Belgium
- Abandoned train depot in Czestochowa, Poland
We love abandoned mansions, especially haunted ones.
- The Charles M.Sublett House on Millionaire Row in Danville, Virginia. This Victorian Gothic style home was built in 1874 by Mr. Sublett for his bride Jennie Cosby. It has 3 1/2 stories and is supposedly haunted in this historic district.
- This fabulous mansion is an example of George F. Barber’s design no. 37 from “New Model Dwellings” in Fleischmanns, New York.
- Abandoned home in Paris, Texas, reportedly built and occupied by one of it’s former mayors. The front porch slightly warms what is otherwise a very cold, haunted-looking house. According to neighbors, the top-floor had been a ballroom back in the day.
- Haunted mansion in Montgomery, Alabama.
- Built in 1980, Victorian Stone Manor Built In Sharon, Pennsylvania features 22 rooms and 8 fireplaces, covering over 16,000 square feet.
The Abandoned Ghost Mansion of Villa de Vecchi
Ghosts, apparitions, piano sounds, unexplained lights, fountains of blood and satanic rituals — all rumors of the now famous “haunted mansion” in the village of Bindo in Cortenova, Italy. Yet Villa de Vecchi has all the trappings to live up to its image: an eery beauty, desolate location, abandoned for 75 years, and filled with the energy of a tragic past.
Villa de Vecchi is a beautiful abandoned Baroque villa in the moutains near Lake Como. A favorite locale for urban exploration and photography, it was once a grand mansion built by a nobleman.In the mid 19th century, Count Felix de Vecchi chose architect Alessandro Sidoli to design his home. Sidoli integrated the latest technologies, including running water and heating pipes. The villa was adorned with incredible frescoes and featured a grand piano in the hall.
According to local lore, Count de Vecchi allegedly returned home to find that his wife had been murdered and his daughter was missing. With no trace of her in sight, he spent months searching to no avail. Distraught and alone, de Vecchi committed suicide In 1862.
The mansion passed on to de Vecchi’s brother whose family spent summers there through the 1940s. Eventually the home was deserted and became known as the Ghost Mansion, an abandoned mansion with a chilling history and a haunted reputation. While an effort is underway to save the historic villa, its future remains uncertain.
Abandoned Building 25 at Creedmoor Psychiatric Center
Located in Queens Village, New York, Building 25 at the Creedmoor Psychiatric Center has sat abandoned and rotting since 1974. The psychiatric center is still open and operating but, for almost four decades, Building 25 still stands — ignored and decaying.
Originally, the open land was owned by the Creed family and was purchased by the New York State Legislature in 1870 to house the New York State National Guard. After four decades of complaints about random long range bullets flying into surrounding areas, the National Guard abandoned the buildings in 1912. At that time, Creedmoor State Hospital opened as a farm colony for then Brooklyn State Hospital, with patients working on the farmland for treatment and room and board.
From 1918 to 1974, the population grew from several hundred to over five thousand patients. Through the decades, a large number of violent criminals were sent there and allowed to wander the grounds freely, with some easily escaping. With reports of rape, assault, suicides, fires and burglaries, the institution was out of control. In addition, complaints of patient abuse by staff and unsanitary living conditions added to the already horrid and unsafe living conditions at the hospital.
By 1974, the original Creedmoor State Hospital was moved to a new facility on the property and renamed the Creedmoor Psychiatric Center. While all of the other buildings once used were vacated and demolished, Building 25 was left deserted. To this day, the building stands abandoned and ignored by the state. Why buildings like this are allowed to stand rotting for decades can only be answered by their owners.
Creepy Relics Left Behind at Abandoned Veterinary School
The relics of a historic building’s past are always a coveted find for urban explorers seeking to document the ruins. But this abandonment is not for the faint of heart, nor the animal lovers among us.
Arguably the weirdest location, L’école de Médecine Vétérinaire in Brussels, Belguim is a macabre warehouse of pickled animal organs left behind when the faculty relocated to other premises in the Belgian capital. Left to gather dust well beyond the reach of sunlight, jars containing animal lungs, hearts, brains and other morbid specimens sit on shelves spanning entire walls in the abandoned veterinary school.
Urban Explorers in an Abandoned Russian Mine
A group of young Russian urban explorers took on an abandoned mine. The mine recently closed, but that didn’t stop these risk-taking adventurers. In their own words: “We did not know the condition of the mine, whether it is flooded by groundwater, whether there was sufficient air, and if we can get into the system .. Arriving at the place, dressed in chemical protection suits, hiding valuables…”(We) Quite quickly found a hole in the ground…to the ventilation shaft, which sported a steel “tube”…”
If you can read Russian, or don’t mind translating the site, dedmaxopka.livejournal is a great Russian website for urbex photography and other cool Russian interests. The photos on the site are amazing as well.
The Ghost Town of Oradour-sur-Glane, France
Hundreds of cities and towns across Europe was devastated by loss of life and destruction of property during World War II. The village of Oradour-sur-Glane in central France was no exception.
On June 10th 1944, only a few days after the Allied landings in Normandy, German troops entered the village of Oradour-sur-Glane and rounded up as many men, woman, and children that they could find. Within hours 642 of the villagers lay dead and dying. The men were massacred by machine gun fire in cattle sheds and the woman and children were locked in a church that was set on fire (picture 3 shows the remains of the church). After the massacre, the SS set fire to the rest of the village. Despite a trial at Bordeaux, the SS unit that massacred the town was never brought to justice.
After the war, the president of France, Charles De Gaulle, declared that the village of Oradour should be rebuilt next to where the town had previously stood. They wanted the burnt-out remains of the old village to be preserved and stand as a poignant reminder about the atrocities of war. In 1999 French president Jacques Chirac dedicated a memorial museum, the Centre de la mémoire d’Oradour, near the entrance to the Village Martyr (“martyred village”).