The Curse of the Hope Diamond
Throughout history, diamonds have signified many things to many cultures, from wealth, power and love to mystical God-like powers. But one stone’s global fame and mystique has surpassed all others: the legendary Hope Diamond.
This 45-carat, deep blue gemstone is the most valuable diamond in the world, and the most coveted and mysterious. It has been at The Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, in Washington DC, for over 50 years.
Allegedly a curse to all that own it, the diamond’s bizarre properties have mystified scientists for decades and its sinister reputation as a ‘hoodoo gem’ has spawned thousands of paparazzi headlines.
The diamond’s “curse” has believed to either leave its owner and their family dead or in equally grave circumstances. The last owner to actually wear the diamond was a Mrs. Evalyn McLean, pictured above. With the Hope in her possession, her young son died in a car crash, her daughter had committed suicide at the age of 25, Evalyn herself became addicted to morphine and her husband was declared legally insane, committed until his death. From there it went to Harry Winston, who quickly donated the diamond to the Smithsonian.
Not only is the Hope Diamond an object of spectacular provenance, science has declared it a geological anomaly. Under ultraviolet light, the diamond glows an eerie deep blood red.
To some, this provides compelling evidence of a supernatural force but for a group of expert scientists, it inspired a major pioneering investigation which has shown that most all blue diamonds show read and green peaks in their phosphorescence spectrum.
However scientific investigations cannot explain the mysterious and deadly events that have besieged the Hope Diamond’s previous owners. Even science has its limits.
- kriickitt reblogged this from the-creepy-things
- sagey-baby likes this
- collegeboundandbeyond reblogged this from no-needtosaygoodbye
- no-needtosaygoodbye reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- quarterpastyesterday likes this
- oddix reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- boomboxes-dictionaries reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- kiss-of-the-black-mamba likes this
- fightingtobelieve reblogged this from map-the-souls
- theartifulworld likes this
- mywrathdidend likes this
- map-the-souls reblogged this from i-my-me-mine-not-yours
- i-my-me-mine-not-yours reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- fiestyvxn likes this
- raiiyn reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- milakat-sabez reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- laqua reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- laqua likes this
- steat0pygian reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- quixoticallypeculiar reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- quixoticallypeculiar likes this
- tammerrs likes this
- veirdodude likes this
- sup3rrb1tch likes this
- bulls-inthe-bronxx likes this
- taytayr7 reblogged this from panda-arcade
- panda-arcade reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- ladedafucker reblogged this from joydivisionerd
- evilfalci reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- girlnewport reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- acrcab likes this
- nicoledanieelleee likes this
- carlise reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- ourobororoz reblogged this from bildgesnipe
- lifesgreatestmysterys reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- the-other-ghost reblogged this from cottonandcacti
- the-other-ghost likes this
- vaguelywatermarksthesky reblogged this from cottonandcacti
- cottonandcacti reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- thelastjackalope reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- pandoras-journal likes this
- for-brighterdays reblogged this from saviorinredlipstick
- saviorinredlipstick reblogged this from leannewoodfull
- peanutuntouchablemcthugzilla reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- thisblogisinactive-thisisnothard reblogged this from the-siren-of-rapture
- the-siren-of-rapture reblogged this from odditiesoflife
- eburnean-elise likes this
- brettmcelheny likes this